Races main page
Centuries ago, sorcerer-kings magically combined giants and human stock to breed powerful minions, creating the hardy race of towering warriors known as half-giants. Most sorcerer-kings have hundreds of half-giants in their armies and shower the mighty warriors with luxuries in exchange for their loyalty. Other half-giants become urban thugs or mercenaries. They adopt the culture and traditions of the cities in which they dwell.
Physical Description: Half-giants typically stand from 7 – 8 feet tall and weigh from 250 to 400 pounds, with men noticeably taller and heavier than women. Most half-giants have tightly braided hair with deep coppery complexions. Half-giants have thick hair, which is often kept braided (especially among females) or in a single tail that hangs behind the head and down the back. Half-giant often effect grandiose dress when they can afford to do so, sporting fanciful of intimidating clothing.
Personality: For the most part, half-giants retain human sensibilities. They are curious, interested in cooperation and communication, and tend to be kind (of course, there are exceptions). Because many half-giants are refugees from their former days of bondage, where they could pass down few traditions, they are quick to pick up the local tastes, morals, customs, and habits of the area in which they settle down.
Society: Half‐giants are most often found in the city‐states, serving as gladiators, laborers, soldiers, and guards. A few half‐giants collect into wilderness communities, often adopting the culture and customs of neighboring beings. The rare half‐giant community often attaches itself to a charismatic or successful leader (not necessarily a half‐giant) who demonstrates the tendencies they admire.
Relations: The most powerful warriors on Athas, half-giants seem content to dwell in humanity’s shadow. Half-giants tend to be friendly and eager to please, adopting the lifestyles, skills, and values of those they admire. A half‐giant character who encounters a new situation looks around him to see what other people are doing. For example, a half‐giant character that happens upon a dwarven stone quarry may watch the dwarves, and then start quarrying stone himself. If he can make a living at it, he will continue to quarry stone just like his neighbor dwarves do; otherwise he will move on to something else.
Alignment: Half‐giants can switch attitudes very quickly, taking on new values to fit new situations. A half‐giant whose peaceful farming life is disrupted by marauders may soon adopt the morals of the renegades who sacked his village. A half‐giant’s nature is to switch his alignment aspect to imitate or otherwise react to a significant change around him.
Religion: Freed half-giants, as a race, have a particular disdain for religion, sometimes going out of their way to speak badly of a sorcerer-king. It’s not that they don’t believe; it’s that they don’t believe a sorcerer-king has the best interests of its worshippers at heart. Half-giants still in bondage openly worship the sorcerer-king who rules them; some truly believe in their hearts while others just go through the motions.
Language: Half‐giants speak whatever languages their masters taught them or that they learned in the wild. Whatever tongue he speaks, the half‐giant’s voice is pitched so low as to occasionally be difficult to understand.
Adventurers: Half-giants have wandered far to found their current desert settlements. For many, wanderlust is a way of life, and seeking after glory, fortune, or even a life of high adventure is something every half-giant can understand and accept. Most half-giants, however, are content to stay in their settlements and listen to the tales of far-away lands from those who’ve adventured there.
Half-Giant Racial Traits
- +6 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Half‐giants are renowned for their great strength and dull wits.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, half-giants have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Half-giant base land speed is 30 feet.
- Intimidating: Half-giants treat Intimidate and Perception as class skills.
- Low-Light Vision: Half-giants can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Fire Acclimated: Half-giants have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all fire spells and heat effects. Half-giants are accustomed to enduring high temperatures.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of medium size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Unusual Frame: Half-giants‘ size means they must wear armor and clothing specially made for them. Such armor costs twice the listed price. In addition, half-giants must eat and drink twice the normal amount required of a human per day.
- Limited Psionics: Half-giants gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Psi-Like Ability: 1/day—_stomp_. Manifester level is equal to character level. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Axis Alignment: One aspect of the half‐giant’s alignment must be fixed, and chosen during character creation. The other half must be chosen when they awake each morning. They are only bound to that alignment until they sleep again. For example, a half‐giant may have a fixed lawful alignment. Every morning, he must choose to be lawful good, lawful neutral or lawful evil. This alignment change is not mandatory.
- Language: Half-giants begin playing knowing the language of the region they originate from.
- Level Adjustment: +1.